Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Life without electricity and running water

Tomorrow marks the 14th day without electricity and running water.

Why no electricity and running water?

Someone stole the electricity cable which was from Germany and is no where to be found in Malawi. How is that even possible?! Well, the water tank in the area is run by electricity and thus I have no running water.

Luckily there is a water pump. But the thing is that over 200 people live in the same area and we have to share this one and only pump... I can't waste my day waiting in line just to get some water...

When did I bath??
Let's not think about that...

So yes, I finally came to town to check emails today.

Suddenly I wanted to ask if the electricity company is doing something about this problem.
The response from the administrator of the place I work is the following:

"NOTHING"

We're paying for electricity on the basis of consumption and not advance-payment. So, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. How funny!

Okay, I should just get used to it. This is how majority of Malawians live everyday and I should experience their life style.

It's just amazing to see how dependant I am on electricity. I've talked about this already but it's just amazing. It really changes the productivity of work and above all, the hygiene! No wonder many children I see in villages have infections and what not.

Anyways, I'm proud of mastering charcoal cooking and carrying bucket full of water on my head.
That's something I would never learn if I weren't here.

Let's see how long this will last...

No comments: