Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Less than one dollar a day...

The word "Extreme poverty" suddenly became something with a meaning to me.

The World Bank defined "extreme poverty" as "living on US $1 or less per day."
I can't recall how many times I came across this word in economics textbook I've read, in debates I participated, or in documentaries I've watched as a university student.

But the thing is, it meant nothing. It was a word without meaning. It didn't trigger any images or feelings. I simply failed to associate myself with this concept itself.


Yesterday, I had a small argument with a guy who was selling me roasted corns. He charged me MK30 [Malawian Kwacha](or 20 cents) instead of MK20 that he normally charged simply because I was azungu (the rich or non-Africans in Chichewa). My fellow volunteer friend was laughing at me saying how stingy I was for being upset over MK10 (12 cents) . The money wasn't the issue. It was the fact that he charged me more because of who I am-- I wanted him to consider me like anyone else in the village.

Suddenly, I realized how little he earned everyday and felt slightly guilty for accusing him for charging me MK10 more...

As I waited for the bus to come, I asked a lady who was sitting right by me how much she earned that day from the green vegetables she was selling for MK5. "MK135" she said. Less than a dollar. (MK150 = US $1)

Less than one US dollar for her whole-day work at the market.


1 tomato MK15-20.
1 egg MK25.
1 papaya MK50.
1 kg of rice MK150.
1 kg of groundnuts MK150.
100g bar of chocolate MK250.
1 litre of gasMK250.
1 litre of milk MK300.
1 chicken MK550-700.
and 1 bottle of wine MK2000...

No wonder so many children in the villages are malnourished.


It occurred to me that adjustability could sometimes be cruel. While I started recognizing the intangibles from the people I work with-- happiness, peace, and love regardless of the circumstances, I stopped feeling peoples' suffering here. I stopped seeing the poverty here. But there really are, right in front of me.


EXTREME POVERTY... Less than one dollar a day became real.

No comments: