Friday, March 14, 2008

Greetings from Warm Heart of Africa!


Muli bwanji once? (How are you everyone?)


At last, lazy Mitsue is starting to share her volunteer experiences in Malawi with her friends and family after one and 1/2 month...


With limited creativity and English proficiency, I will try my best to share what I see, smell, eat, hear, feel, and DO! Well, I hope my experiences will give you some inspirations and new perspectives into your life.


For those who have no idea why on earth I am in Malawi and what I am doing, let me give you a brief introduction.


As part of a volunteer program run by NGO called Humana People to People, I am doing volunteer work in a poor rural area in Malawi called Chilangoma until February 2009.


The aim of my main project is to improve overall quality of 40 pre-schools in the area. Preschools are not supported by Malawian government, which makes villages or communities become responsible for sustaining their own preschool with no fund. What I do mainly is to do everything I can to help each preschool ensure food for children, get more educational supplies, build/repair school building, introduce and promote income generation activities, and supervise teachers for teaching skills among others.


I also work with people with HIV and young Malawians who will soon become primary school teachers in rural areas.


For now, I am living in a comfortable room with electricity and running water most of the time. We have blackouts and water gets cut off all the time, but the villagers around in the area have neither of them.


Alright, enough for intro. From next time, I will write the details :)

Until then, Tionana!!


Mitsue

No comments: