Monday, April 28, 2008

My addictions



Let me share a bit about my favorite places with you - Art market & vegetable/fruits market.

Any little extra money I can find now goes to art works and vegetables/fruits. They're really addicting actually. You will definitely know why if you come to Malawi as a foreigner.

All the beautiful art works in the pictures are handmade and SUPER cheap if you compare the prices in Japan or other developed countries. And what's more, you can order something original easily. When I have no money, I try not to get closer to this market... Otherwise I won't have the transport money to go back to my house.

Markets are filled with its unique energy and enthusiasm. As soon as people see me, they all rush to sell me things, offer to be a bag carrier, ask billions of questions, and so forth. I love going there and meeting new people. I have specific friends from whom I buy specific items. They of course remember me and give me lots of what they call "prices"(free stuffs) :) Speaking of markets, you can find all kinds of fresh vegetables and fruits besides other things. They are incredibly delicious and again, cheap! No wonder I'm not loosing any weight here...

The Thursday, two weeks ago, was a special day where I had to buy different items for my preschool supervision, soya beans being one of them. But I needed 18kg... I wish someone took a video of me carrying the soya beans in the middle of Lunzu market, where literally EVERYONE was cracking up by seeing this Zungu (foreigner) with a huge sack of soya beans on her head, trying her best to walk straight. Well, I don't hate attention and I love making people laugh so it's all good.



No comments: