Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Showing respects to Malawian culture


I got into an argument with one of my supervisors Shake today. Well, it was Anna and I yelling at Shake over lunch.

In Malawi, if you receive something- can be food that's served, a chair brought for you - you must take it but take it FULLY to show respect and appreciation for those who gave that something for you.

After the committee meeting was over at Kalulu preschool, the village headman served food for all the participants- 2 BIG plate-full of Nshima (the white stuff in the pic; staple food: thick non-liquid maize porridge) of course, in addition to beans and cooked vegetables. I DON'T REALLY LIKE NSHIMA! It's simply starch and it makes your stomach bloated and soon, makes you FAT.

Well, I only took a spoonful of Nshima. So did Anna. Then Shake said;
"You know, I sometimes feel ashamed when YOU don't eat what's served at the preschool I supervise." And this is how we began arguing as usual.

Mitsue: "You don't understand, Shake, I tried, and I ATE it, did you see?"
Anna: "Shake, I already told you that I don't like it. And I don't think that's how I want to show my respect and appreciation for their hospitality."
Shake: "But you ate so little. And that's disrespectful. Besides, you are in Malawi and you should respect our culture."
Blah blah blah...

Our regular passionate debate over eating or NOT eating Nshima will probably continue for my remaining time in Malawi...

No comments: